Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Unfortunately, home appliances, pipes, washers, etc do degrade over time. In addition, accidents happen no matter how careful we are. Here are a couple tips to mitigate any water damage:
- Know where your circuit breaker box is. If the individual circuits are not labeled in the box, get them labeled.
- Know where the water shut off valves are inside your property so you can shut off that portion of the structure without interrupting other areas. These include but are not limited to your bathroom sink/toilet, kitchen sink, washing machine, and hot water heater.
- Know where the water shut off valve is at the street. Sometimes an inside valve may not work or time is of the essence and it is quicker to shut off all water until help arrives.
- Typically a water key is needed to turn off the water at the street. There are several different types of water keys, know which one will work with your water box.
- Last but not least, you will want to have a good plumber and water mitigation company in mind to assist with the aftermath.
At SERVPRO of Southwest Dallas, we are here 24/7 to assist you at any time with your water restoration damage needs!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (214) 463-5880
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.