Common Causes of Water Damage
There are a number of common issues that cause water damage in buildings. Below are some of the causes and some fixes:
- Probably the most common are broken pipes. This often occurs due to age and sudden changes in weather, namely cold to hot.
- Faulty household appliances like washers, dish washing machines, hot water heaters. There are water pressure gauges & FloodStop systems that can be put in place to turn these off should something happen.
- Clogged drains. These should be cleaned regularly but it is a good idea to stay away from chemicals. In the short run chemicals do the job, in the long run they can eat through piping. Snaking the drain or calling a professional is your best bet.
- Clogged gutters. These can cause water to get diverted down a path that will flow inside the building.
- Tree roots. Make sure to monitor or remove trees that are growing next to your house. Tree roots will often grown around pipes and over time can cause cracks.
- Poor drainage. We see this an awful lot in Texas where there are no basements, instead a crawlspace will get flooded. Check your crawlspace when it rains. If there is standing water, there are some solutions but often an expert will need to be brought in.
- New construction or a remodel. Any type of construction leaves the door open for an issue to pop up whether that's an accidental nail through a pipe or a roof that wasn't sealed well.
We hope that you are able to avoid any water issues but if something should happen, SERVPRO of Southwest Dallas is here to help.