The Holiday Time of Year - And Time to be Careful
We are approaching the time of year where family and friends get together for holidays. This year may be a little different due to everything going on in the world. Wintertime brings on lots of time inside which means finding ways to stay warm. Here are some fire prevention tips to think about this holiday season:
- Be conscious of leaving heaters plugged in when you leave a room, your home or go to sleep. Consider buying heaters that have an automatic shut off for time or if tipped over.
- Keep flammable items several feet away from heaters.
- Make sure that the heater you are using is meant for inside. Gas powered heaters need ventilation and generally are meant for the outside.
- Do not use your oven or stove to heat your home.
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy metal mesh or tempered glass shield....and that it is in place anytime there is a fire or even smoldering embers.
- Try to refrain from using candles that have very little life left in them.
- Each night during the winter, do a walk through of your home before bed to check on any potential fire hazards like the heaters, fireplaces and candles mentioned above.
No matter how careful we are, fires do happen. SERVPRO of Southwest Dallas is here to help with your fire clean-up needs.